Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Proud Midnight Baker

Making the perfect loaf of bread: This past week I have become a very determined, dedicated, and slightely obsessed person trying to teach myself this dying trade. It all started with making that braided pesto bread. After making that, I thought learning to make a basic loaf would be a piece of cake. Boy, was I wrong. It turns out that it is a very finicky process. The water can't be to hot, the room can't be too cold or drafty, you have to knead the dough very diligently... fuck, you know? Just to make one lousy loaf of bread. Well I am pleased to say that I have successfully baked my first loaf of bread... at exactly 11:29pm.



It was a basic white loaf. I was smitten when I saw it come out of the oven.


Here it is again at an alternate angle. I shall name thee "Loafy."


After one week, one bag of flour, 4 packets of yeast, and a lot of time I managed to finally teach myself to make this beautiful airy, delicious loaf of food. To reward myself, a nice midnight snack; cheddar on fresh homemade bread. I'm going to go have another and watch the 5th season of The Shield now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm calling BS on this post. You didn't actually do it. Why? Because I know for a FACT that you don't stay up after 9pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, its true!! I remember having a pot of tea late that night and having the rare ability to stay up later than usual. I stayed up past 1am that night. Believe it!

    ReplyDelete